Nuclear technology encompasses any technology that utilize nuclear reactions or radiation produced by them. This could be to produce energy in nuclear power plants, the use of radiation for diagnostics and treatments in medicine, weaponizing the energy stored in nuclei for a nuclear weapon, propelling naval vessels, or many other industrial and commercial applications.
Nuclear Technology involves many topics from fields such as nuclear physics and radiation physics. Below is a list of topics related to the fundamental science behind nuclear technology.
- Nuclear technology
- Atomic nucleus
- Nuclear fission
- Nuclear fusion
- Ionizing radiation
- Alpha decay
- Beta decay
- Gamma ray
- Neutron radiation
- Electron capture
A list of nuclear technology applications and topics related to them.
Producing controlled chain reactions of nuclear interactions to generate electricity in a nuclear reactor.
- Nuclear reactor
- Nuclear engineering
- Nuclear fuel
- Nuclear power plant
- Nuclear fusion
- Nuclear fusion-fission hybrid
- Thorium-based nuclear power
- Radioactive waste
The use of radiation produced by nuclear reactions for medical diagnosis and treatment.
Weaponising nuclear reactions for large scale explosives, also using energy produced by nuclear reactors for the propulsion of military vehicles.
- Nuclear weapon
- Manhattan project
- Thermonuclear weapon
- Nuclear submarine
- Nuclear-powered aircraft carrier
Nuclear technology is used to provide power for space missions and is being developed for use in the propulsion of space vehicles.
Nuclear technology is used in a range of industrial processes.
Commercial products that use nuclear technology.
Nuclear Technology applications in agriculture and food.
List of companies offering services or products in nuclear technology
Nuclear reactor companies
Uranium mining companies
Nuclear fuel companies
Nuclear waste companies
Nuclear decommissioning companies
Nuclear fusion companies
- Rolls Royce
- Bechtel Corporation
- BWX Technologies
- Babcock International
- China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC)
- Nuclear Fuel Services
- OKBM Afrikantov
- Cardinal Health
- Digirad Corporation
- GE Healthcare
- Lantheus Medical Imaging
- Philips Healthcare
- Canon Medical Systems Corporation
- Fujifilm Healthcare
- Hitachi Medical
- Siemens Healthineers
- Samsung Medison
- AGFA HealthCare
- Carestream Health
- Culham Centre for Fusion Energy
- Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories (LLNL)
- EMC2 Fusion Development Corporation
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville - Propulsion Research Center
- The University of Texas at Austin - Institute for Fusion Studies
- University College London - Institute of Nuclear Medicine
- The Institute of Cancer Research
- National Physical Laboratory (NPL) - Medical Physics
- University of Toronto - Department of Medical Imaging
- Stanford University - Nuclear Medicine Research Lab (NMRL)
- John Hopkins Medicine - Radiology and Radiological Science
- University of California, San Francisco - Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging
- University of Virginia - Radiology and Medical Imaging
- Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- World Nuclear Association
- American Nuclear Society
- American Fusion Project
- Fusion Industry Association
- Organization of Canadian Nuclear Industries
- World Association of Nuclear Operators
List of topics related to nuclear technology.
List of people who made significant contributions to nuclear technology or nuclear physics.
- Ernest Rutherford
- Henri Becquerel
- Marie Curie
- Pierre Curie
- Niels Bohr
- James Chadwick
- John Cockcroft
- Albert Einstein
- Michael Faraday
- Enrico Fermi
- Otto Hahn
- Lise Meitner
- J. Robert Oppenheimer
- Wolfgang Pauli
- Franco Rasetti
- Ernest Walton
- Emilio Segrè
Is Nuclear Fusion The Answer To Clean Energy?
Oct 29, 2019
Mini-Nuclear Reactors Are Coming, and They Could Reinvent the Energy Industry
Jul 21, 2019
NASA's New Space Reactor Is Powered by Nuclear Fission
Jun 30, 2019
Nuclear Power Today | Nuclear Energy - World Nuclear Association
Updated February 2020
The History of Nuclear Energy
U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Nuclear Energy
- Nuclear fissionNuclear fission is a nuclear reaction or a radioactive decay process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into smaller parts.
- Nuclear fusionProcess where atomic nuclei combine and release energy
- RadiationWaves or particles propagating through space or through a medium, carrying energy
- Defense industryThe defense industry includes activities related to national security associated with foreign affairs and defense.